Alion Science and Technology’s Tactical Warfare Instructor Support Environment (TacWISE) is a set of Navy Fleet-tested software tools that support the collection, analysis and debriefi ng of platform, team and multi-team performance data during live or simulated tactical exercises. TacWISE is designed to facilitate performance assessment and analysis tasks to enhance the training process, support post-exercise debrief and improve the user community’s ability to link training to performance readiness.
In military and other high-performance environments, a goal of advanced training is improving and maintaining individual and team performance readiness. The effectiveness of the training process is a critical factor in the continuous improvement of individual and team proficiency. To focus training to efficiently and effectively attain and maintain performance readiness, a framework is needed to monitor the training process, determine its impact upon combat readiness, and modify the training process as needed to assure continuous improvement. TacWISE is a tool to support the training process.
• Standardized performance measurement
• Improved quality and timeliness of feedback to exercise participants
• Simplifi ed training and performance data collection, analysis, debrief preparation and archiving
TacWISE PRE-EXERCISE AUTHORING TOOLS SUPPORT:
• Modifying or creating measures for any type of exercise
• Pre-defi ned data fi lters, types and groups for analyses
• Pre-specifying planned events and the performers in the exercise
DURING AN EXERCISE, TacWISE DATA COLLECTION TOOLS SUPPORT:
• Single screen, “point and click” evaluator interface
• Stand-alone and/or networked evaluators at multiple locations
– including airborne and shipboard
• Merged data from automated data capture systems and human evaluators into a single common database
POST-EXERCISE TacWISE SUPPORT:
• Performance analysis of single exercise or comparison across multiple exercises
• Pre-defined analyses and summary data immediately available after FINEX
(Finish Exercise) including:
- Event timeline
- Simple frequencies
- Aggregate scores
- Rating scales based on predefined standards
- Weighted scores by importance, difficulty, etc.
- Analysis by phase, platform time, event, etc.
• Output of data to Microsoft® Excel®
• Output of assessment scores to Microsoft® PowerPoint® to enable “drill-down” for debrief
TacWISE has been successfully used to evaluate the performance of Navy Carrier Strike Groups and Expeditionary Strike Groups for more than two years. The independent observations of evaluators located at sea, in the air and on shore were merged and feedback was provided to underway participants within four to six hours, and within two hours for shore-based exercises.
For a tool to be effective, it has to be easily trained and, more importantly, easily used. TacWISE training has been conducted in numerous ways during the past three years. It has occurred in a structured classroom setting, in an office, and enroute to an exercise area. It has even been conducted over a phone while both the instructor and the evaluator were at sea on different classes of ships. The average time to train an evaluator in the use of TacWISE was 40 minutes. Evaluator training included the entering of both graded and non-graded events, editing the timeline, adding new units during an exercise and the saving and zipping of databases. Personnel of all rates and ranks, from E-5 through O-6, and all Navy warfare communities have been trained. The trainability and usability of TacWISE for assessment has been demonstrated through its continued effectiveness over a number of years.
For more information about TacWISE, please contact email@example.com.